Monday, March 29, 2010

First impressions

Our life has been incredibly hectic so I've been jotting notes as I go about our new home. It has been easy to come up with content as both myself and my partner have been over analysing everything. So here's our first impressions.

The first part of my blog in NZ is from Queenstown as I went on a final work trip before my boss kindly flew me to Auckland to meet with my family.

Flying in over Auckland on route to Queenstown I was amazed at how many new areas in Auckland seem to have developed and new motorways being built. Obviously Auckland is really starting to move outwards now. The other thing that's noticeable after living in Oz is just how green everything is. Funnily enough, Auckland is having somewhat of a drought at the moment. They haven't had decent rain in months but its still a lot greener than Oz.

On arriving at Auckland Airport its quite funny to see how small it is. It feels about the same size as Sydney's domestic airport.

The first thing I noticed in Auckland was the automated passport control for Aussies and Kiwis which was very futuristic and sophisticated. I've since found out that Sydney has one for Aussies and Kiwis too.

The domestic airport appears larger and its quite amazing to see the different faces there now. A lot more multicultural than it used to be, which is good.

Day 2
Arrived in Queenstown and boy has this place grown up. I was here about 8-9 years ago and was really disappointed by it but now I'm really impressed. It appears they have someone running the show who has a little foresight. Building codes have been adhered to and it has a wonderful alpine feel about it with quaint little back alleys reminicent of old European cities. Food is really good and the tunes being played in the cafes are really funky.

Staying in a hotel down here and the food is really good. I mean it might be me but the food actually has flavour. I've always thought that the fresh food in Sydney was pretty average and this goes to prove it. The eggs taste like eggs should. Not the horrible bland things you get in Sydney. I consider myself an expert on good tomatoes and Sydney has absolutely the worst tomatoes, and these ones here in my hotel are really tasty.

The internet connection here is, of course, a rip off. When I stayed in the States I had free internet. In Melbourne it was also cheap or virtually cheap, but here it is ridiculously expensive. Here you pay $10 for 2 hours. I guess that represents the state of our small telecommunications industry. Very small and uncompetitive.

Well after a week of dealing with some of the most laid back yet professional companies I've ever dealt with (I've dealt with a lot worldwide) I'm heading up to Auckland to find a car, house and a job.

Wellington airport is bloomin busy. Lots of families and kids running around. Kiwis are a motley lot that's for sure. It seems really disorganised and security appears to be a non-event. I guess Al-Qaeda don't see Wellington as a target. That's good! And the airport really needs a revamp. Very old looking. It's also windy which is a bit of a cliche for Wellington.

Something else I'm noticing in airports is how many people are reading. Loads of people with big fat novels or newspapers.

The kiwi accent is pretty funny aye. It's kind of cute, a little basic but they pronounce their words well. It's almost like they're over pronouncing. Hard to explain but I think their lips and mouth move more or something . A bit like a strict female school teacher. But a nice one. Can't quite put my finger on it. There is a definite genuine friendliness in their voice. It's very sweet. Not the voice or accent you want calling your name when you are having dirty sex with a stranger. That's reserved for a French or Spanish accents. But definitely the one you want to wake up to asking you if you want bacon an eggs for breakfast. And most definitely the one you want calling out the names of your kids to come in for dinner. Kiwi mums are the best in the world.

We are definitely back in the land of the kiwi girls. I hope not to offend to many of the ladies from this beautiful land but I don't think we are a nation blessed with looks that's for sure. Can't talk for the men as I don't really keep an eye out for them. I remember seeing NZs Next Top Model on Australian TV and thinking how plain they looked. And they're MODELS! Lucky I brought one back with me and she's beautiful, and from Wanganui!!.

As I go further north I'm hearing more Maori accents which is really nice to hear. On my global travels It has always made me feel at home when I hear the melodic tones of an older Maori lady speaking in a friendly nature. In Queenstown I chatted to a young Maori fella running a bar and his slightly high pitched, honey dripped voice was quite beautiful, as a lot of Maori voices are, I would imagine he has a great singing voice. I think that's the reason Kiwi hip hop sounds good and Aussie hip hop is so completely shit.

Well almost home to Tauranga to meet the family before heading to Auckland for a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment